History of Native Americans and more

UNATBC the Challenge

AISESnet Discussion List (aisesnet@bioc09.uthscsa.edu)
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 22:50:40 -0500

Original Sender: aconcert@carroll.com (Joe Campagna)

Subject: UNATBC the Challenge

Q's: We have been getting alot of snail mail at the office requesting
information about the Native American Television Project. It has been too
overwhelming to catch up to, so I'm hoping this email will get to many of
you who may be on this list.

A: For all those interested in what's happening with an exciting new
project, I enclose a copy of our first newsletter with hopes of your
support. Any Native American people in the business are urged to join as
members of the UNATBC for all the latest news. Non-native people are also
welcome to join UNCLE, the support organization.
United Native Culture & Language Exchange (UNCLE) News

contents:

1. The Native Broadcasting Project is In Danger Of Corporate and Government
Control by a group of non-Indian investors creating a non-indian owned
network, gaining support of Indian sell-outs; a personal plea by a
project initiator, UNCLE member.
2. (a) Membership drive UNATBC
United Native American Television Broadcasting Council (UNATBC) - Native
American Indians and Organizations. Everyone has a part to play.
United Native American Television Broadcasting Council. Add your name to
the list and email or snail mail it back to <aconcert@carroll.com>.
2. Membership drive for UNCLE - United Native Culture & Language Exchange.
Join the support group for the United Native American Television
Broadcasting Council. Add your name to the list and email or snail mail
it back.
Membership drive for UNCLE - Indians & Non-Indians
3. Questionnaire
If you havent filled this out yet, please do. This is an integral part
of the pre-organization of UNATBC all questionnaires become the property
of UNATBC with credits maintained by questionnaire senders.
4. Your addition to these subjects (not yet written)
Your opportunity to create an article for the next issue.
5. Petition to stop treaty violations (#1-96)
Return of an ongoing petition in circulation since 1992.
NEXT WEEKS ISSUE! - We Name Names and disclose recorded communications.
Mission Statements

The goal of United Native Culture and Language Exchange (a native and
non-native organization) is to create an association via website and other
means formed of contributing Native American Indian individuals,
associations, educators, and non-profits forming the United Native American
Broadcasting Council (UNATBC).
Membership of people of all nations to UNCLE is urged and welcome.

The mission is to gather input and consensus to create and embellish
formative data for the United Native American Television Broadcasting
Council (UNATBC) which will direct an all-indian owned and operated United
Native American Television Broadcasting Network, known also as the United
Native American Television Broadcasting Project; an intertribal, and
inter-broadcast-association made up of representatives from (not limited
to) the following;

Indigenous Native American; Indian Nations, broadcast associations,
traditional steering & cultural committees, economic development
committees, Indian language educators and associations, and educational
institutions, for (and not limited to) these purposes;

;to individually and collectively create and organize criteria and
development for implementation of local and central; Native American
tribal, educational, and community owned-and-operated television
broadcasting facilities/companies, to;

;uphold the interests and direction established by Native American Indian
people and organizations and nations for self-determination,
self-representation, sovereignty, economic development, with strong
emphasis on traditions & cultures, land issues, and the environment, by;

;helping/creating ways and means for broadcasting and live venues and
supporting the development of television film, video, music, art, dance,
informational, linguistic, and cultural, tribal, intertribal, intra-tribal,
and infra-tribal entertainment, and instruction; by the people, and for the
people.

Additional functions of the United Native American Television Broadcasting
Council (UNATBC) council would include opening dialogue with non-Indian
broadcasting and production companies to advise and correct politically
incorrect, and socially and culturally damaging content, and further
directives set out and approved by each council and the grand council as a
whole.

Any Native American individual or organization on the continents of North
and South America, and islands in the western hemispere may become a member
of the UNATBC by registering via email or snail mail.

The UNATBC does not nessessarily regognize the BIA ultimatum of what nation
is a "recognized tribe" rather it is up to the UNATBC council members, or
Indian Nations to make that determination.

UNATBC Registration of American Indian: people, tribal councils,
associations, and comments are urged via email and snail mail and will be
relayed to existing council members.
Issue 1 News From UNCLE June 21, 1996
1. A Native Project is Threaghtened; a personal plea by a project initiator.

https://www.jlc.net/~jcatlin/interworld/
United Native American Television Project

vs.

A corporate opponant

With this being world peace and prayer day and me being more of a
heart-thinker than a spiritual person - respecting deeply all in their
spirituality i would like to humble myself here and present these words for
consideration:

5 or six years ago i gave up everything (roads to fame, fortune, and an
international magazine business as well as a promising music carreer
contract and tour with a musician's musician) -- to embark on a journey
which took me to places on various reservations to learn about needs and
wants and other concerns which lead to the pre-organizing of a project so
different in its plan it is to be a model that the people will design and
present a an old yet new revlation in the way of cooperation and
opportunities. While i could never speak on behalf of native people, i did
put together a plan based on what i have learned for the pre=organizing of
a vehicle (a television network) that the traditional people and other
native people (living in cities, etc,) will design together, one that could
not be created using any existing corporate, or even tribal methoods. The
proof is in the answeres to the questionnaires at the website in the
signature below and above. This website has been designed from those
memories and the good people who visit and send in their suggestions. This
website, both in the spirit of the project and by papers I signed belongs
to the people as does everything i create. Most of the people who will
untimately control and design the project are yet to see it because they do
not have computors, phones in some cases even televisions. Yet these are
many of the people who should direct what is needed for the project in some
special ways.

I realize that no paper can match or hold in check what is needed for a
company to survive in the business world, and no papers or intent by any
company no matter what famous indians, or tribal councils they have as a
back-up can ever gaurantee that the people will direct, or lead a project
in the development. THE PEOPLE MUST LEAD - THE PEOPLE MUST OWN - THE PEOPLE
DIRECT not i, Not this new company which has contacted our office and said
"we are going to do this". They have already purchased a sattelite and say
they have some prowerful tribes and native actors behind them. They have
investors and those investors and the non-indian officers who are managing
the project may have ultimate control of the project and it will be based
on commercial needs while putting forth their promises based on needs that
may look good in their presentation. Their project will represent all
indian people by its very existance even if they flash a disclaimer on the
screen.

They, the non-indian american indian broadcasting network, have conteacted
our office and asked to see our plan and are questioning some people
involved to find out our methods so they can present something the people
will buy into. But remember there is money as the base. Money can be used,
yes, it is needed, but it must take a different position in the overall
picture. We have a plan that must be worked out by all the people. Not
them.

It saddens me to see that so many on the internet are arguing over other
issues when the most prevelant representation of the american indian is now
going into the hands of a corporate entity.

Your support is needed. The word must get out. Even now they have changed
their name to a generic one (an american indian network) one which will
change, which will continually confuse their plan to yours. They will have
chamelean-type methods. They have millions of dollars behind them and they
are buying your project - buying influence, and selling the people and
their cultures.

I for one will not give up. I shall not regret the loss of my prior
business and carrer or hold 6 years of good sacrifice in vien. I have
learned good things and made good friends. That beats fame and fortune
anyday. I sit here and wait for the indian people to step in. I hope you
will tell them and get the word out. United Native American Television
Broadcasting (UNATB) is owned by the people. I am not an officer of UNATB
but of United Native Culture and Language Exchange (correction from a
2. (a) Membership drive for United Native American Television Broadcasting
Council (UNATBC) - Native American Indians
United Native American Television Broadcasting Council. Add your name
to the list and email or snail mail it back.

Native American People (UNATBC)
ADD YOUR NAME HERE:

Interstate Advisors &
Directors Committee
and founding UNATBC

Helmina Makes Him First
Hunkpapa
Standing Rock Sioux Tribe

Suella High Elk
Ipitazipco-Hohwoju
Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe

Loren Zephier
Yankton Sioux Tribe
Marty Indian School

Adalbert Zephier
traditional war chief
grandson of chief
Black Spotted Horse
Ihanktonwan
Yankton Sioux Tribe

Bobby Yakwake
Lenape

Merrith M. Stops
Sioux & Crow

Anthony Joseph Chavez
Dineh & Chicano

Dorette Quintana English
Pueblo/Chicana

CHEWYIEM POM(Traditional Indian Basket Weavers of NE California;
HOMAWI LANGUAGE PROJECT;WEAVING THEATRE

David Hendren
Apache/Irish

Dr. Eugene Norman
(Water Spirit)
Qualla-Tuscorora

2(b) Membership drive for UNCLE
Join the support group for the United Native American Television
Broadcasting Council. Add your name to the list and email or snail mail
it back.

United Native Culture & Language Exchange
Nonprofit Organization For The Advancement Of Interacial and Cultural
Understanding
Organized 1992

9 Fair Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Fax/Ph. 201-489-5057
email:
aconcert@carroll.com

Deputy Director |
Chester Robinson |
Cherokee |
Bergen County Sheriff's Dept. |

Vice Chairman |
Fred Garajalde
Taino
United States Post Office

Legal Director
Sylvia Brandon
International Law

Legal Advisor
Linda Galvani, Attorney
CA & New York Bar

Legal Clerk
Ginger Galvani, Esq.
NJ & New York Bar

Founder & Secretary
Joe Campagna
Organizer, Free South Africa & Nelson Mandella Concerts
Concept: Interworld Concert

Dr. Eugene Norman (Water Spirit)
Qualla-Tuscorora

people of all nations
ADD YOUR NAME HERE:

3. Questionnaire

Send copies of completed questionnaires to:

United Native Culture and Language Exchange
9 Fair Street
Hackensack NJ
07601

for print and distribution:

NATIVE AMERICAN TELEVISION BROADCASTING

The effort is centered around pulling together American Indian people from
all nations, elders, proffesionals, representatives from Native American
Colleges, Indian film and theater organizations, funding organizations, and
tribal governments. Ultimately, a meeting place at a central location will
provide a forum to present and discuss development of a people's television
network. This effort is being undertaken along the internet, and via the
regular (snail) mail.

Would like to throw a few questions out to see what response bounces back.
All will be printed and assembled into folders and delivered to UNATBC
Members, Native American leaders and educators to discuss the creation of a
Native American television broadcasting network.

Messages will be printed as delivered. Return snail mail addresses are
optional. All replies will be submitted in their entirety.

If you would like to add your own veiws not covered by the questions also do so.

YOUR INPUT AND FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT

1. Does the prospect of a Native American television network appeal to you?

2. Should traditional Indian law play a major (if not the main role) in
the founding of any Native American Television company and its rules of
operation, or by-laws?

3. Do you feel that current commercial television programming contributes
to cultural dissimilation, and how?

4. Do you feel television can help as a tool for restoring traditional
language and culture/values? How?

5. Do you feel that Native television/film productions and syndicated shows
can be a source of economic developement? Some ways?

6. Does the television media ignore Native American issues in the news?

7. Do you feel that current television programming helps to instill
negative behavior in Native young people, if so how?

9. Is public access important to you with regard to programming on Native
television?

10. Do you feel that programming should be determined by:
(choose as many as you like and use percentages when more than one.)
a) ___A Native/non-Native corporation who holds critical shares. ___%
b) ___The local tribal government. ___%
c) ___The bia. ___%
d) ___The people in a given broadcast area. ___%
e) ___The colleges. ___%

11. a) Do you believe that the US government and institutions like the
world bank have influence over the news and television programming? (b) How
would you propose keeping out such influences with regard to Native
American television programming?

12. Name some types of programming you would like to see.

13. Given four cannels in each area, how many of those channels should be:

a)Public Access ____
b)College Eduication _____
c)Culture/Language ______
d)Commerical ________

14. Would you tollerate some commercials on all channels? Should non-Indian
companies use Native American actors in their commercials?

15. How many Native people do you know #___own a television set compared to
#___how many that don't. Or just estimate a percentage ______%.

16. What age would you estimate most children start watching television?

17. Do you feel that any part of your life has been influenced by television?

18. What is your age?

19. Do you feel that Native American television would/should pay better
attention to environmental issues than the current media?

20. Are you in favor of an annual world concert as a fundraiser for
monetary resources needed to establish and expand working systems.

21. __Are you a Native American (indigenous American) (American Indian):

__Are you other:

Records are being kept by
United Native Culture and Language Exchange
9 Fair Street
Hackensack NJ
07601

Thank you for your participation.

Home page now up (continually updated):
https://www.jlc.net/~jcatlin/interworld/

https://www.jlc.net/~jcatlin/interworld/nab.htm
Page reserved for lists on broadcasters and
? [special internet broadcast uplinks if/when approved]

4. Your addition to network, and council design subjects (not yet written)

Please enter your article here_____________For Issue 2